Experience the authentic taste of Italy with this simple homemade tomato sauce recipe.This homemade sauce (even though is made with canned tomatoes) has a true Napoletano flavor and is a much fresher option to the commercial sauces. I personally prefer to use the pomodoro Napoletano (Neapolitan tomato), since their flavor is sweeter and stronger than regular tomatoes.
So let's get started!!
In Italy, we use this sauce as a base for most of our dishes, like our world famous pizza sauce, pasta sauces, lasagna, cannelloni, risotto di pomodoro, parmigiana di melenzane, and so on..
Ingredients: (per 2)
- 2 Tbsp A&A Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil;
- 15 oz. can crushed Italian tomatoes;
- 1 tbsp A&A Italian Seasoning Salt.
- Heat the A&A Oil in a medium heavy sauce pan at medium for around 1 minute.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into the pan.
- Add the A&A Salt.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, and bring to a boil.
- Then lower to medium-low heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Taste for salt.
VARIATIONS: You can add s many ingredients as you can imagine to this sauce to give it your own new twist. Try sautéed mushrooms, Italian sausage, tuna, diced green peppers, diced eggplants or for a richer taste add 1/4 cup of red wine.