Experience the authentic taste of Italy with this simple homemade tomato sauce recipe.This homemade sauce (even though is made with canned tomatoes) has much fresher and vero sapore Napoletano than the commercial ones, and the best part: You can cook it at the same time. I personally prefer the pomodoro Napoletano (Neapolitan tomato), since their flavor is sweeter and stronger than regular tomatoes.
So let's get started!!In Italy, we use this sauce as a base for most of our dishes, our world famous pizza sauce, pasta sauces, lasagna, cannelloni, risotto di pomodoro, parmigiana di melenzane, and so on.. Ingredients: (per 2)
- 2 Tbsp A&A Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil;
- 15 oz. can crushed Italian tomatoes;
- 1 tbsp A&A Italian Seasoning Salt.
- Heat the A&A Oil in a medium heavy sauce pan at medium for around 1 minute.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into the pan.
- Add the A&A Salt.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, and bring to a boil.
- Then lower to medium-low heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Taste for salt.
VARIATIONS: You can add to this sauce as many ingredients as you can imagine and give it a new twist by just adding an ingredient to it. Try sauteed mushrooms, Italian sausage, Tonno (tuna), diced green peppers, diced eggplants or for a richer taste add 1/4 cup of red wine; And always remember:
confidence comes not from always being right, but from not fearing to fail. So let fly your imagination and start enjoying your Italian cooking journal!