The Parmigiana di Zucchine Bianca (Bianca means white in Italian) is a delicious dish prepared by alternating grilled zucchini, besciamella (a white sauce made with milk and enriched with chopped onion) and mozzarella cheese, without any tomato sauce. A GREAT SUMMER DISH TO ENJOY!!
For the Besciamella:
10 fresh Basil leaves
60 gr Butter (approx 2 oz)
50 gr Onion (approx 1.7 oz))
60 gr Flour (approx. 2 oz)
1 liter of Milk (approx 33.8 fl oz)
Nutmeg (to taste)
1 Tbsp of A&A Italian Seasoning Salt
1.Cut the zucchini into thin along side and grill them (both sides).
2. Meanwhile, prepare the slices of mozzarella (you can also buy a package of already shredded mozzarella).
3. Prepare a baking dish and grease it with olive oil for all its surface.
4. Spread a layer of besciamella in the bottom of the baking dish and begin to arrange the slices of grilled zucchini horizontally.
5. Cover the zucchini with some besciamella on the top, sprinkled some grated Parmesan cheese and finish with generous mozzarella.
6. Start again with another layer of zucchini, but this time arrange the slices vertically and repeat step No. 5 until you arrive to about 5 layers of zucchini.
7. Finish with the last layer of zucchini, cover with a layer of besciamella, some A&A Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a last generous handful of Parmesan cheese.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 c degrees for 40 minutes, until the appearance will be a nice golden crust on the surface.
9. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting your white zucchini parmigiana.
HAPPY 4th of JULY & BUON APPETITO!!!